Friday, April 21, 2006

Because you are lovely

Anything social: others and why.
Excuse me, I have five pages. May I use the Xerox machine?

60% said OK.

Excuse me, I have five pages. May I use the Xerox machine because I’m in a rush?

94% said OK.

It appears that giving the “reason why” of because I’m in a rush boosted the effectiveness of the request immensely.

But here’s the kicker:

Excuse me, I have five pages. May I use the Xerox machine because I have to make some copies?

93% said OK.

The trigger word “because” is so powerful that it didn’t really seem to matter that the “reason why” provided was something you might expect to hear from a four year old child.

Be specific in your assertions, and always give a reason why, especially when you want people to take some form of action.

Not because I said so, but rather because it will work wonders for you.
References: Two most important words,
Tags: because of you

No comments: