Saturday, February 18, 2006

Indian Stretchable Time (IST)

"I was in India last month and I was quite annoyed by why some locals arrive 30 minutes late when they say they'll be five minute away", the presenter at MBA "Then they explained, it's IST."

"What is IST?", the presenter asked.

"Indian Stretchable Time".

From Insight into someone indian:
The Indian time is called flexi time and that's why the Indian Standard time (IST) is often referred to as Indian stretchable time. In India generally people do not stick to time, though the situation has improved a lot, still Time is not as important as the outcome is. If the work is completed Indians count that as more important. That is why, you may be waiting, and you may face people being late. If you are told that something will happen in 5 min, it might mean it will happen in half an hour time. Simply, in India everything takes time.
While on that page, I found something interesting that have always bugged me all this time. It's something I learned the hard way and I always tell everyone not to trust an Indian in serious business or work with them. It still leaves a very bad and smelly taste in my mouth even after reading this.
Indian people by habit have an inclination to say YES to everything, they don't like saying NO. Even if they are not able to complete it or to provide it, they will still not say NO. It's a part of our culture, saying NO means not respecting others.
Yes, they do it all the time. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. And then, nothing, no results. They are so good at it, they go Yeesssssssssss, ah Yeeessssss!!!!!! Ahhh! Yes Yes! YES!!!

Okay, I'm over doing it.

But I think that article pretty sums up the top five reasons I dislike about the culture. And guess what, they say it's their culture! Damn it, culture is soooo overrated.

By the way, what happened to the also-overrated Malaysian Timing?

References: Insight into someone indian, Google Blog Search, Malaysian Timing,
Tags: IST, Indian Standard Time, Indian, Time, Late, Culture, Malaysian,

3 comments:

LordRich said...

That all sounds very familiar - I used to work on the UK-side of an outsourcing company. Work becomes so much easier when you work the Indian way. It wasn't until the English managers started complaining about me and the Indian team that we had to become more English in the way we work - after struggling to get the Indians to fight back I soon left.

Chern Jie said...

Really? You actually approve of the way they work? I don't due to some rather serious concequences I encountered.

Well, I suppose it's no longer a problem when you have already learned the culture. It won't bother me next time round.

Anonymous said...

That seems to be the case with Indians since ancient times...no concept of time at all.